Making Music Therapy Accessible

As we continue to celebrate 12+ years in business here at The Groovy Garfoose, we want music therapy to be financially accessible to everyone. While music therapy in the state of Ohio doesn’t have a strong track record of being reimbursable through insurance (yet!), there are lots of other funding options for music therapy.

How do I Pay for Music Therapy?

Today we’re sharing a list of financial resources for families looking for supplemental or financial support for music therapy services.  The best part of this list of resources is that these are not specific to any one therapy.  In addition to music therapy, many of these financial resources can be put towards out of pocket costs for speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, ABA, art therapy, therapeutic riding and more. Click on each resource below to be directed to their website and learn more.

Funding for Music Therapy

Rec 2 Connect Foundation – This local foundation started by Jen Knott provides quarterly scholarship opportunities for individuals with special needs to apply towards a variety of recreation therapy based services including music therapy services.  Learn more about this awesome organization and how they are making an impact in Northeast Ohio with the special needs community.

Zane’s Foundation – Stacey Youseff, a parent of a son with Autism, founded this local organization to provide funding assistance to children and adults with disabilities for therapeutic necessities (like music therapy!) not covered by insurance, government agencies or other resources.  The ultimate goal of Zane’s is to help each individual reach their maximum potential so that they have the opportunity to become a contributing member of society.  Learn more about how to apply for a scholarship here.

Different Needz Foundation –  This organization, located in Chagrin Falls, Ohio has a mission to provide grants to individuals with developmental disabilities, their families and organizations that support them for medical equipment and/or services including music therapy services.  Learn more about scholarship deadlines and application procedures here.

County Board of Developmental Disabilities – Many county boards provide funding supports for families seeking.  At the Groovy Garfoose, we have had success billing Music Therapy Services through Summit County FEP (Family Engagement Program), Lake County FSS (Family Support Services), Cuyahoga County Family Supports and Supplemental Funds Programs, and Family Supports Services of Portage County.

ASP – The Autism Scholarship program provides scholarship to parents of children with autism ages 3-21 that are looking for an alternative special education program other than the one operated by the school district of residence for their child to receive their education as outlined in the child’s individualized education program (IEP) including therapeutic supports like music therapy.  See the ASP website for qualification and application details.

JPS – The Jon Peterson Scholarship program provides scholarships to students who are eligible to attend kindergarten through 12th grade and have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) including therapeutic supports like music therapy. The amount of each scholarship is be based on the primary disability condition identified on the student’s Evaluation Team Report (ETR). See the JPS website for qualification and application details.

SELF Waiver – The Self-Empowered Life Funding (SELF) waiver is a cost-capped Medicaid home and community-based services waiver for Ohioans with intellectual or developmental disabilities. Although the SELF waiver provides an enrollee the ability to direct and manage his or her own services (known as “participant direction”), exceptions do apply.  Learn more about how to obtain funding that could be used for music therapy services through the SELF Waiver program here.

Level 1 WaiverEffective July 1, 2022, the Level 1 waiver now has a Participant Directed Goods and Services program (up to $2,500 per waiver span) that can be used for services (including music therapy!), equipment, or supplies not otherwise provided through the waiver or Medicaid state plan services that address a specific assessed need that is outlined in the Individual Service Plan.  

How do I Get Started with Music Therapy?

Music Therapy services start with an assessment to determine the needs of the person and create a treatment plan for therapy.  Contact us today for a FREE phone consultation to learn how music therapy can support your family member!